Babyshambles man says he was never booked to play gig
Pete Doherty has spoken to NME.COM about his supposed ‘no show’ last night (July 14) in Newcastle, where it was reported he had been booked to play a gig.
It was reported that the Babyshambles man had been set to play a solo show at the Cluny venue, with tickets being sold in advance.
A spokesperson for the Cluny said that the venue had been contacted by Doherty‘s booking agent about the possibility of the gig, which had then been officially booked.
However, Doherty, who has recently changed his management, told NME.COM that he never knew about the booking.
“This was a hoax,” he told NME.COM. “I was in Newcastle for a funeral but was never booked to play the Cluny.
“I don’t quite know how you can book a show without informing the artist concerned. Apologies to any fans that turned up to this but I never know anything about it. I did, however, play in the Johnny’s Bar in Newcastle for the Teenage Cancer Trust.”
However the venue insisted that there had been no attempt by them mislead gig-goers and they had booked the show in good faith.
“Pete’s quotes imply that it was all a ruse on our part – this could not be further from the truth,” said the venue in a statement, “and we wish to strenuously defend our hard-earned and well-deserved reputation as one of the best small venues in the north east of England.”
Pete Doherty revealed details of his debut solo album today (July 14). See the NME.COM news story for the full details.