Music icon passed away last week (April 21), aged 57
Prince was found with prescription painkillers at the time of his death, police officials have reportedly revealed.
The late music icon passed away at his Paisley Park home in Minnesota last Thursday (April 21), aged 57. Reports state that he was found collapsed in a lift and pronounced dead at 10.07am. A postmortem has been carried out but no cause of death has yet been confirmed.
TMZ has reported that the singer overdosed on the powerful painkiller Percocet five days before his death. According to reports, Prince was admitted to a nearby hospital and given an emergency shot of the anti-overdose drug naloxone, before being discharged after three hours. It’s been suggested that Prince was taking Percocet to alleviate hip problems.
NBC News now reports that police officials have confirmed that prescription painkillers were found in Prince’s possession when he died as well as elsewhere in his home. It is not known whether the drugs had any part in Prince’s death. The county sheriff investigating his death has reportedly asked for help on the case from the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Prince’s lawyer was previously forced to deny reports that the singer died of a drug overdose.
Since his death, tributes to Prince have ranged far and wide with President Barack Obama stating “Today, the world lost a creative icon” and musicians including Madonna, Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd and Katy Perry leading the tributes.