R KELLY – ‘I’M NO MONSTER’

The underfire star gives another interview where he insists he's innocent of all charges relating to him having sex with underage girls...

R Kelly continued his charm offensive yesterday (May 10), telling his second interview of the week he was innocent of all charges relating to him having sex with underage girls.

Following an earlier interview on US network television, the underfire R&B star spoke to MTV in Atlanta reinforcing his remark he was no “monster”.

Claiming that, on lawyers’ advice, he was speaking “with one hand behind my back” he added that he had broken his silence and decided to speak out “for my fans, for me, for my life and for my family”.

As before, he insisted that the videotape that emerged in Chicago three months ago allegedly showing him having sex with an underage girl was a hoax.

While Chicago police continue to investigate the tape, R Kelly said he had yet to be questioned by authorities, but that he plans to cooperate fully.

As reported previously on NME.COM, Sparkle, a former rap protege of R Kelly‘s, has come forward to claim it was her 14-year-old niece on the tape. Not so, said R Kelly. He said Sparkle’s claim was the result of a “big beef” between himself and the rapper that stems from a soured business relationship. He did say that he has met the singer’s niece, but that he is “like a godfather to her”.

The videotape allegations, along with lawsuits brought by other underage girls who claim to have been victims of R Kelly, have caused a backlash in some circles, with radio stations dropping the singer from their playlists, and anti-R Kelly rallies being staged in his hometown of Chicago.

“That really hurt me,” R Kelly said of the protests. “They don’t even know me.”

While he has had support from his record label and from recent collaborator Jay-Z, R Kelly said he must face his battles alone.

“It’s not their job to rescue me,” he said.