Confusion reigns over which members of the group will actually be appearing at the Ian Dury tribute concert...
Hopes of a CLASH reunion at the Ian Dury tribute concert at LONDON BRIXTON ACADEMY on June 16 have been virtually ruled out today.
Contrary to reports from the Rolling Stone website, [url=]www.rollingstone.com, that bassist Paul Simonon had agreed to join Joe Strummer, Mick Jones and Topper Headon at the bash, a source close to the band in the UK denied this to be the case.
He said: “They have all been asked to appear, but as of Friday (May 12) none had actually agreed. Paul Simonon had volunteered his services for any tribute album, said he’d be glad to do so, and that is how things stand at present.”
And reports from the UK now also cast doubt on whether individual members will appear at all.
A spokesperson for the event promoter blamed press speculation for growing doubts over their appearances. But he did claim confirmation on two names.
“All three [Strummer, Jones and Headon] were confirmed last week but due to press reactions there have been problems. This show is about Ian Dury. It’s not, and never was, about The Clash.
“Paul Simonon was never confirmed to appear and that remains the case. At present, Mick and Topper have confirmed but there is still no word on Joe Strummer.”
nme.com revealed last Thursday (May 11) that the three members had been slated to appear at the event alongside names such as Dury‘s former band The Blockheads, Robbie Williams, Sex Pistol Glen Matlock, members of Madness and Neneh Cherry.
All proceeds from the show will go to to cancer charity BACUP for whom Dury was a spokesperson. Dury died on March 27 following a long battle with the disease.