Guitarist had reportedly said his band were heading into the studio last this month
The Rolling Stones‘ Ronnie Wood has apologised to his bandmates after he was quoted as saying that the band will start recording new material this month.
The guitarist said last week that he and his bandmates would be hitting the studio to “throw some ideas around” in preparation for their 50th anniversary celebrations, but has now put paid to those reports and revealed he received a phone call from Mick Jagger demanding to know what was going on.
Wood told Billboard: “I heard from Mick Jagger; he’s going, ‘What the hell?! We don’t know anything yet!’ And I said, ‘you know what the media are like. I just expressed my personal view; I would love to go into the studio.’ Then they took it all wrong”.
The axeman then added that he felt compelled to apologise to the rest of the band for his comments, going on to say: “So I have to make a personal apology to the rest of the band. I didn’t mean to say things out of line.”
The Rolling Stones played their first ever gig in London on July 12, 1962, and had been expected to celebrate the half-century landmark by embarking on a world tour later this year, but last month (March 14) the band revealed that they would be delaying the celebrations until 2013.
Asked about what the band’s plans were for their 50th anniversary, Wood replied: “We do have a 50th anniversary. Whatever is going to be done, we will know in the next few months.”
The Rolling Stones most recent activity has been to re-release their classic 1978 album ‘Some Girls’.