Ian Brown escapes driving ban so he can attend Stone Roses band rehearsals

Frontman also argued he needs car to go shopping for his elderly parents

The Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown has escaped a driving ban.

Manchester Evening News reports that Brown appeared at Magistrates court in Stockport last Friday (September 16), pleading guilty to speeding after being caught driving 37mph in a 30mph zone.

The singer faced disqualification but argued that a ban would be an “inconvenience” and would affect “innocent third parties” such as his parents – George, 81, and Jean, 79 – who he runs errands, such as shopping, for.

Brown also said that he needed his car to visit his son in London twice a week and drive to “remote” locations to rehearse with his band.

In passing sentence, chairman of the bench Pauline McArdle told Brown: “We have listened to the argument for exceptional hardship and taken it into consideration. We are not going to ban you on this occasion but you will have 12 points. We have taken into account innocent third parties and have also taken into account loss of income but that was not the priority.”

“The argument for exceptional hardship cannot be put forward again, if you come up before the court again you cannot use this argument again and you will be banned from driving.”

NMEGetty

The Stone Roses are thought to be working on their long-awaited third album. So far this year they have released the singles ‘All For One’ and ‘Beautiful Thing’.

Watch Ian Brown tell NME about the band’s new music in the video below.
https://link.brightcove.com/services/player/?bctid=4815720882001