"We're not writing or doing anything," says New York band's guitarist
Albert Hammond Jr of The Strokes has denied the band are back in the studio following a statement that the band are preparing a “return to the scene” earlier this week.
The New York city rockers revealed the cryptic news in a fan email newsletter titled ‘Fall 2013 Update’, which was promoting guitarist Albert Hammond Jr’s new solo album. However, quizzed by Billboard about the message and whether it means that the band will release a new album next year, Hammond Jr was dismissive.
“We don’t know anything yet,” Hammond says. “There’s no news or information. We’re not writing or doing anything – maybe individually we are, but it’s not like we’re in the studio or anything.”
‘Comedown Machine’, The Strokes’ most recent album, was released in March this year (2013). The message sent around earlier this week began with the words, “Hey folks, while The Strokes are toiling and writing, looking at 2014 for a return to the scene, Albert Hammond Jr. has been busy on his solo EP…”.
Speaking to NME earlier this year, Albert Hammond Jr said that there could be “10 more Strokes albums” in the future, however. “There might be times when we’re not doing things but I don’t feel like we’ll ever stop,” he said. “We’ve come to the point where we’ve been together so long and been through so much that why announce anything besides what we’re doing? We’re just together.”
Albert Hammond Jr released a new EP, titled ‘AHJ’, last week (October 8) on his bandmate Julian Casablancas‘ Cult Records label. The follow-up to his 2006 debut LP ‘Yours To Keep’ and 2008 record ‘¿Cómo Te Llama?’, Hammond Jr said of the material: “It’s a combination of both previous recordings, which in turn makes it feel like it’s the best material that I’ve made so far.”