Man killed after detonating bomb outside German music festival

No one else was killed in the attack, but 12 people were injured, three seriously

A man has died after detonating a bomb outside a German music festival.

The explosion occured in the small town of Ansbach, Bavaria, outside an open-air festival attended by around 2,500 people. The festival site was evacuated after the explosion, in which 12 people were injured, three seriously, but no one except the bomber was killed.

Bavaria’s Interior Minister, Joachim Herrmann, said at a press conference this morning (July 25) that the perpetrator detonated the bomb after being refused entry to the festival, The Guardian reports. Hermann said the man’s backpack was filled with enough screws and nails to have killed more people.

The perpetrator’s identity has yet to be revealed, but Herrmann told reporters that he was a 27-year-old Syrian man who had been denied asylum in Germany a year ago.

The Ansbach attack is the fourth violent incident to take place in Germany in less than a week. On Friday night (July 22), nine people were killed by an 18-year-old Iranian-German man in Munich, which is situated around 200km from Ansbach.

“It’s terrible … that someone who came into our country to seek shelter has now committed such a heinous act and injured a large number of people who are at home here, some seriously,” Herrmann said at the press conference.

“It’s a further horrific attack that will increase the already growing security concerns of our citizens. We must do everything possible to prevent the spread of such violence in our country by people who came here to ask for asylum.”