Poor ticket sales blamed by festival organiser Vince Power
Hop Farm Festival has been cancelled with organisers blaming poor ticket sales and the economy.
My Bloody Valentine and Rodriguez were due to headline the festival with The Horrors, The Cribs and Dinosaur Jr also set to perform across the weekend. However, issuing a statement today (May 3), organiser Vince Power states that a lack of interest in the event has made it untenable.
“We have worked very hard to try to make it work but it has proved too much of a mountain to climb and despite fighting hard, circumstances are such that based on poor ticket sales and the forecast selling rate substantial losses would be made,” Power says in the statement.
“It is a surprise for us that after 8 weeks of heavy marketing and with such a great bill that we have to cancel, though we are convinced this does not reflect on the artists, it highlights the poor economic climate. We would like to thank all the staff, suppliers and contractors that have also worked very hard to try and put the festival on again this year.” Power also confirmed that all ticket holders will be refunded at point of purchase.
Hop Farm Festival was due to take place in Wood Paddock, Kent between July 5-6. Earlier this year, festival promoter Vince Power responded to reports that his Hop Farm Festival, went into administration last year owing its 2012 headliners thousands of pounds.
Power responded to the report in a statement issued to NME. He said: “The Hop Farm will happen this year, this is one blip in my career spanning over 30 years. All suppliers and artists are working with me and many of the suppliers have been with me for many years, through the Reading, Phoenix and Homelands days. They are being very supportive. I spent and paid artists alone approx £350 million over the years. The losses reported are inaccurate. The Hop Farm never lost £4.8 million. These losses included a group of companies in Kent Festival Ltd.”