Man who collapsed while practising is thought to have died from a heart problem
A wannabe singer has died during auditions for the Australian version of The X Factor.
The 33-year-old man has yet to be named, but is thought to be a New Zealander. He is said to have collapsed while practising alone in a quiet alcove at the Sydney Cricket Ground, where auditions were taking place on Friday afternoon (January 25).
A representative for Fremantle Media, the production company who make The X Factor in Australia, told The Sunday Telegraph: “He collapsed late yesterday (Friday) and was treated by medics on site before being transferred by ambulance to St Vincent’s Hospital.”
Shortly after arriving at the hospital in Sydney’s Darlinghurst district, the man died from a suspected heart issue. A post-mortem examination is due to be conducted later this week to determine the exact cause of death.
None of the show’s judging panel, which includes Ronan Keating and Spice Girl Mel B , was present at the auditions when he passed away. That day, contestants had been performing for the show’s producers in a bid to make it through to the filmed audition rounds in front of judges.