DJ Nicky Romero was onstage during the incident at Summerland Festival
Four people were injured and the Summerland Festival in Colombia was disrupted when part of the main stage caught fire following a malfunctioning firework display this week.
As video footage, which can be seen above, shows, part of the main stage rigging caught fire with Colombian media reporting that fireworks were the cause of the blaze. DJ Nicky Romero was onstage at the time, with his set being cut short as the fire was put out. He later tweeted about the incident saying he felt lucky to be alive.
DJ Dimitri Vegas, who also appeared on the Summerland bill on Sunday, January 5, was also onstage at the time, and tweeted: “OK… this was probably one of the most eventfull [sic] nights I can remember…”
Afrojack, Armin Van Buuren and Cedric Gervais all appeared across the course of the three-day dance music festival, which was besieged with problems throughout its run. Local paper
El Tiempo also reports that 100 people required medical treatment on the first night of the festival after suffering from an adverse reaction to “hallucinogenic substances”.
City official Mary Velez told the publication that “in areas arranged for emergency care more than a hundred people were treated for consuming hallucinogenic substances or a combination of drinks with pills were recorded”.
However, Summerland organiser Javier Alfonso Guevara has disputed this version of events and told El Universal: “Not all of the intoxications were due to hallucinogens. Many people who came to medical treatment points did so because of dehydration, because they were moving constantly and had not ingested the necessary liquids.”
@nickyromero my bro Steve’s leg got burned, but luckely we’re still allive!
— WolfPack (@wolfpack) January 6, 2014
— Dimitri Vegas (@dimitrivegas) January 6, 2014