Radio DJ Tony Blackburn ‘sacked’ by BBC ahead of Jimmy Savile report into sex abuse

The inquiry will be published on Thursday (February 25)

Long-serving BBC Radio DJ Tony Blackburn has threatened to sue the BBC, claiming he was sacked by the BBC days before the publication of a report into sexual abuse at the broadcaster.

The Dame Janet Smith report commissioned in the wake of the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal is due to be published on Thursday (February 25).

Prior to the report being published, Blackburn has issued a public statement, describing himself as “devastated” over his contract being “terminated with immediate effect”.

Blackburn refers to an incident of an underage girl alleging she had sexual contact with the DJ in 1971. The claims were later withdrawn and the individual took her own life later that year.

Blackburn writes: “In 1971 allegations were made by the mother of a 15-year-old girl whose diary apparently contained suggestions that she had been seduced by celebrities including me.”

“I am told that the mother told the BBC, a few weeks after her initial complaint, that her daughter had withdrawn the allegation against me.”

“The reasons for the BBC taking this decision are that my evidence to Dame Janet Smith shows, I believe, that a cover-up took place – one that I had no knowledge of. This goes against what the BBC believe.

Blackburn also says that the report offers “no suggestion that I was guilty 45 years ago of any misconduct whatsoever with this girl”.

“The BBC have made clear that they are not terminating my relationship with them because of any misconduct,” Blackburn adds. “They are destroying my career and reputation because my version of events does not tally with theirs.”

“I was not guilty of any inappropriate conduct; my lawyers will take immediate action against anyone suggesting that I was.”

The BBC has not yet commented on the matter.