All copyrighted music must be removed from the file-sharing application before it can continue...
NAPSTER have been told by a US court judge that they must remain closed until they have fully complied with an injunction to remove all copyrighted music from their system.
As previously reported on NME.COM, all file transfers were blocked by the service last Monday (July 2). Napster blamed problems stemming from the introduction of new technology. The technology being introduced will allow acoustic fingerprinting to identify tracks and so won’t rely on user-defined names that had made it easier for fans to swap copyrighted material. Napster were legally obliged to introduce the change or face being shut down completely.
Yesterday (July 11), according to a report on Napster, www.napster.com, a District court in the US told officials that they were prohibited from turning file transfers back on until they reach “100% success” in “identifying and screening out noticed works”. The company currently claim to be 99% effective.
In statement, Napster CEO Hank Barry said: “The Court’s ruling today that Napster must block all file transfers threatens all peer-to-peer file sharing over the Internet… While we are disappointed by this ruling, we will work with the technical expert to enable file transfers as soon as possible and we are continuing full steam ahead toward the launch of our new service later this summer.”
He goes on to say that the order will be obeyed, but Napster plan to appeal against the decision.
He concluded: “We continue to believe in the future of file sharing and we are hard at work on our new membership-based service, which will launch later this summer. We are encouraged by the response of the Napster community and the many rights holders who wish our work to go forward, and we very much appreciate their support.”