Jay Bennett had been taking pain medication
Wilco‘s former guitarist, Jay Bennett, died of a drug overdose, according to coroner’s reports.
Illinois coroner Duane Northrup determined that the 45-year-old multi-instrumentalist died from an overdose of fentanyl, a drug that is commonly prescribed to treat chronic pain, reports the Associated Press. His death is being treated as an accident.
Bennett, who had been due to have a hip replacement later this year, was declared dead after being found unresponsive at his Illinois home on May 24.
Bennett played with Wilco from 1994 to 2001, leaving the Americana band because of a fall-out with band leader Jeff Tweedy.
Shortly before his death, he sued the band for $50,000 (£33,000), claiming he was owed royalties for albums he worked on while in the band.
–By our Los Angeles staff.
[url=”/about”] Find out more about NME.[/url]