London Overground to go 24-hour from next month

The capital's nightlife just got a boost

The London Overground network is set to be added to the capital’s 24-hour train line service next month, mayor Sadiq Khan has announced.

The ‘night tube’ was initially launchd last August, before expanding to the Jubilee Line (home to venues such as The O2 and SSE Wembley Arena) later in 2016. Now, the Overground – which covers much of South and East London – is set to join the extended weekend service.

From December 15, the service will operate 24-hours on Fridays and Saturdays, between New Cross Gate and Dalston Junction. An extension to Highbury & Islington will come next year, as the BBC reports. Both New Cross and Dalston are key areas for London’s nightlife, with East London hotspot Shoreditch also featuring on the new nighttime service.

Back in July, Sadiq Khan said that plans to launch ‘night tube’ on the Overground, “will provide huge benefits to Londoners and visitors to our city, helping those working hard through the night and all those out enjoying everything London has to offer, as well as creating jobs and boosting our economy.”

Earlier this year, Mayor Khan also appeared at the NME Awards – where he hailed London’s grime scene and presented Skepta with the Best British Male award.

Speaking at the awards, he said: “My girls are 15 and 17 and big grime fans. Skepta’s one of their heroes, Stormzy, Wiley, it’s great. We went to Drake last week and he had Section Boyz on stage – they’re a big grime act from London.”

He added: “Grime is here to stay.”