Sir Paul McCartney's Anfield concert in cancellation threat

£1.7million deal saves football stadium concert for now

Photo: Next Previous

Photo Gallery: Paul McCartney

Sir Paul McCartney's forthcoming gig at Liverpool FC's stadium Anfield was recently under threat of cancellation, it has emerged.

Liverpool City Council had to give McCartney Productions Limited £1.7million to prevent the cancellation. The money will pay for production costs and essentials such as insurance – no profits will be made by either McCartney or the football club.

Around 25,000 tickets for the June 1 show were already sold last year, with a possible further 11,000 to be released, reports BBC News.

Phil Redmond, creative director of the Liverpool Culture Company, said despite the new demands he was confident the event would go ahead, although hinted that more money may not be forthcoming should McCartney's company demand further payments.

"I'm not going to say, 'This concert will go ahead regardless,'" he told BBC Radio Merseyside. "At the end of the day there always comes a line when you say, 'This is not worth it'."

The gig is being staged as part of Liverpool's year of being European Capital Of Culture.

Read More On This Artist

More News
Tinchy Stryder posts video footage from Chuckle Brothers studio session - watch
U2's Bono defends Apple LP giveaway, says '38 million people' have listened to...
Paul McCartney asks for 'Meat Free Monday' support
The Vaccines' frontman co-writes song with country singer Caitlin Rose - listen
Aphex Twin reveals his kids, wife, mum and dad feature on 'Syro'
Katy B pulls out of gig following brother's death
Royal Blood's Mike Kerr says the idea that rock music is the most authentic genre is...
U2's Bono thinks he has the solution to music piracy and declining album sales
Butthole Surfers drummer picks up 'Yard Of The Month' award in Austin neighbourhood
Julian Casablancas cryptic about future Strokes shows: 'A tour's a great way to destroy...
Jack White takes pop at Foo Fighters during 'Kanye West-esque rant' at Boston gig –...
Miley Cyrus facing possible jail time after being spanked with a Mexican flag
Mark E Smith on Kate Bush: 'I never even liked her first time around'
Papa Roach frontman: 'my uncle kissed me and he gave me herpes'
Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl says he's 'never played a show like this' at...
Seth Rogen hired as Waka Flocka Flame's 'official blunt roller'
Musicians react as Scotland votes in independence referendum
Jay Z fighting lawsuit over use of the word 'oh' in 'Run This Town'
Arcade Fire's Win Butler says he has no plans for retirement
Disclosure and Sam Smith enlist Schoolboy Q for 'Latch' remix – listen
Dr Dre's long-awaited new album will not be called 'Detox'
Iggy Azalea files lawsuit against ex-boyfriend for releasing early masters

More News

Comments

Please login to add your comment.

Featured Videos
Latest Tickets - Booking Now
 
Know Your NME
 

 
NME Store & Framed Prints
Most Read News
Popular This Week
Inside NME.COM
On NME.COM Today