October 21, 2013 16:35
Mark Blanco's family calls for new enquiry after his death at a party with Pete Doherty
The actor's mother says further analysis could prove that his death was not an accident
Sheila Blanco has long campaigned for police to reopen the investigation in the belief that he did not fall accidentally.
In December 2012, CCTV footage analysed by BBC's Newsnight taken outside the flat on the night Blanco died appeared to show that a second person was on the balcony when he fell.
Grant Fredericks, a US-based video analyst concluded from the footage that "the images strongly suggest that one person is leaning far over the balcony as Blanco's body is moving outward and downward from the balcony railing".
Now, according to The Observer, Blanco's family is urging Scotland Yard to act on Fredericks's recommendation that a specialist technique, known as "calibrated reverse projection analysis", could be used to determine whether a second person was on the balcony shortly before he fell.
Mark Blanco died in December 2006 as a result of head injuries sustained after falling from a balcony at the flat of Doherty's friend Paul Roundhill in east London.
Doherty was implicated after an inquest into the actor's death in 2007 heard that the singer asked his minder Jonathan Jeannevol to "have a word" with Blanco after he had "annoyed" him. Doherty was also apparently seen on CCTV running away from Blanco's body.
The inquest recorded an open verdict and rejected suicide. The coroner called for a fresh investigation. Scotland Yard referred the case to SCD1, its specialist crime division, but did not reopen the case.
In a letter to the Blanco family last month, the Crown Prosecution Service said that it had asked the investigating officer to "check on progress" and would not comment further until police decided what course of action to take.
- Previous: Peace's Doug Castle has Bob Dylan song 'ruined' by George Osborne – listen
- Next: Jake Bugg announces first UK tour dates for 2014