Peter Gabriel pulls out of Oscars

Singer cancels appearance after learning of performance limit

Peter Gabriel
Peter Gabriel has pulled out of a scheduled performance at the forthcoming Oscar ceremony, set to take place on February 22 at the Hollywood Kodak Theater.

The singer, nominated in the Music (Song) category for his song 'Down To Earth', as used in the film 'Wall-E', had been hoping to perform the song in full, but cancelled after learning that the song would only be played as part of a 65-second medley.

Speaking in a video on his official website,, Gabriel said that the decision not to feature the songs in full was "unfortunate", but said he would still attend the ceremony.

"We were originally hoping to perform," he said. "We'd assumed, as there are only three nominees, that the songs would be performed [in full. But the producers came in to revamp it as audience figures were falling off.

"One of the things they've decided to cut is the songs. So we've only been offered 65 seconds as part of a medley. So I've now decided to withdraw from the ceremony, but I'll still go along.

"I do think it's a bit unfortunate. I do think songwriters, even though they're a small part of the filmmaking process… we still work bloody hard and I think deserve a place in the ceremony as well.

"So I'm an old fart, and it's not going to do me any harm to make a little protest. But the ceremony will be fun and I'm looking forward to it."

The other nominees in the Music (Song) category are two numbers from 'Slumdog Millionnaire': 'Jai Ho' and 'O Sava'.

Share This

Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store