October 19, 2011 11:58
Radiohead, Arctic Monkeys, Adele help vinyl album sales hit six-year high
Beady Eye, PJ Harvey and Bon Iver have also shifted quite a few long-players
According to the Official Charts Company, sales of vinyl albums in 2011 have already outsold the total for the whole of 2010, with over 240,000 LPs shifted, compared to 234,000 in 2010.
If the current sales continue, then sales of vinyl albums are likely to exceed 300,000 for the first time since 2005, when over 351,000 albums were sold.
Radiohead's 'The King Of Limbs' has been the spearhead for the increase in vinyl album sales, selling over 20,000 copies alone, more than 10 times what Adele's '21' has sold, the second best selling album on vinyl of 2011.
Other artists to enjoy strong vinyl sales are PJ Harvey, Beady Eye and Bon Iver.
The 10 best selling vinyl albums of 2011 thus far are as follows:
1. Radiohead – 'The Kings Of Limbs'
2. Adele – '21'
3. Beady Eye – 'Different Gear, Still Speeding'
4. Arctic Monkeys – 'Suck It And See'
5. PJ Harvey – 'Let England Shake'
6. Bon Iver – 'Bon Iver'
7. Alex Turner – 'Submarine OST'
8. Kate Bush – 'Director's Cut'
9. Elbow – 'Build A Rocket Boys!'
10. Nirvana – 'Nevermind'
- Previous: Stone Roses reunion: 2012 gig in Scotland planned?
- Next: Manic Street Preachers - 'The age of the classic rock single is over'