Live Nation Canada charged with Radiohead stage collapse

Three corporations and an engineer face a total of 13 charges after last summer’s fatal Downsview incident

Live Nation Canada has been charged by the The Ontario Ministry Of Labor over the fatal stage collapse at a Radiohead concert last year.

The company, along with Live Nation Ontario Concerts GP, will face eight charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, while four charges have been brought against Toronto-based staging company Optex Staging and Services. A further charge has been filed against an engineer, making 13 in total.

Drum technician Scott Johnson was killed when a scaffolding structure collapsed onto the main stage area at Toronto's Downsview Park, hours before Radiohead were scheduled to play on June 16, 2012. Three others were injured in the collapse.

The Ministry said Live Nation "failed to ensure the structure was designed and constructed to support or resist all likely loads and forces, it was adequately braced, there were no excessive loads and every employer complied with the act," in a report from The Toronto Star.

In a statement, Live Nation said they disagreed with the charges and would "vigorously defend" themselves, adding: "We absolutely maintain that Live Nation and our employees did everything possible to ensure the safety of anyone who was on or near the stage involved in the tragic incident that led to the unfortunate death of Mr. Scott Johnson." A trial is expected to begin on June 27.

Share This

Don't Miss
Latest Tickets
NME On Social
NME Store