The actor was only originally intended to play the now-US President temporarily in the run-up to the 2016 election
Alec Baldwin has responded to Donald Trump‘s Twitter jibe in which he called the actor’s impersonation of him “terrible”.
Baldwin has repeatedly appeared on Saturday Night Live as the US President, but was initially only intended to be a temporary guest performer. That status changed when Trump was elected in the 2016 election.
The actor had previously called playing Trump “agony”, to which the President had taken offence. “Alec Baldwin, whose dying mediocre career was saved by his terrible impersonation of me on SNL, now says playing me was agony,” he wrote. “Alec, it was agony for those who were forced to watch. Bring back Darrell Hammond, funnier and a far greater talent!”
The actor later tweeted that he would stick with the impersonation until he got to “the good stuff”. “Agony though it may be, I’d like to hang in there for the impeachment hearings, the resignation speech, the farewell helicopter ride to Mara-A-Lago,” he wrote. “You know. The Good Stuff. That we’ve all been waiting for.”
He also imagined Trump’s presidential legacy, describing what could be in his presidential library when he leaves office. Baldwin listed: “A putting green. Recipes for chocolate cake. A live Twitter feed for visitors to post on. A little black book w the phone numbers of porn stars. You’re in and out in five minutes. Just like…”
The spat began after Baldwin described doing his Trump impression as “agony” in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. He said: “Every time I do it now, it’s like agony. Agony. I can’t.”
He continued to share his feelings on the current US President. “I could go out on the street, stand on any corner and tap 10 people on the shoulder,” he said. “And all 10 of them, in all likelihood, would be more qualified – ethically, morally, intellectually and spiritually – than Trump.
“I’ll vote for Mitt Romney. I don’t care. Anybody over this guy. It doesn’t matter. We have to get rid of him. And that’s another project I’m working on.”
Sign up for the newsletter
Baldwin added that he had spoken at the Democratic Dinner in Iowa in the past, and was intending to appear at “a couple more of those this year”. “My wife and I agreed that we’re gonna give it everything we have,” he said. “And then if, God forbid, he wins again in 2020, I’m wondering can I host a game show in Spain?”
The actor recently came under fire after defending Woody Allen on Twitter. In 1993, Allen was accused by his then seven-year-old adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow, of sexual assault. Allen has always denied the claims and no charges were brought, with the investigation dropped at the time.
Last year, Farrow wrote an opinion piece for The LA Times asking why the #MeToo movement had not yet put him under the same scrutiny as the likes of Harvey Weinstein, while a number of actors and directors have recently distanced themselves from the filmmaker.
“Woody Allen was investigated forensically by two states (NY and CT) and no charges were filed,” Baldwin wrote. He added that while he thought “the renunciation of him and his work, no doubt, has some purpose,” he said he felt it was “unfair and sad”. “I worked w WA 3 times and it was one of the privileges of my career.”