NBC has revived ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ for a sixth season

Fans were outraged yesterday as Fox axed the series after five years

NBC has revived Brooklyn Nine-Nine for a new season, following the show being cancelled by Fox.

Yesterday (May 11), fans aired their anger as it was confirmed that the series would not be returning to screens for a sixth season. Among the critics of the controversial decision were the likes of Mark Hamill and Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda.

Now, it’s been confirmed that NBC has recommissioned the show for a 13-episode run. It’s said that Netflix, Hulu and TBS were also keen to snap it up.

“Ever since we sold this show to Fox I’ve regretted letting it get away, and it’s high time it came back to its rightful home,” said NBC Entertainment chairman, Robert Greenblatt. “Mike Schur, Dan Goor and Andy Samberg grew up on NBC and we’re all thrilled that one of the smartest, funniest, and best cast comedies in a long time will take its place in our comedy line-up.

“I speak for everyone at NBC, here’s to the Nine-Nine!”

Following the announcement, Samberg took to Twitter to thank fans for standing behind the show. “Thank you to everyone for the crazy outpouring of support,” he posted on The Lonely Island’s profile. “It means the world to us. It wouldn’t have happened without you.”

Goor also thanked “the best fans in the history of the world”, while Melissa Fumero said: “You did this!! You got loud and you were heard and you saved our show!! Thank you!!”

 

Co-creators Schur and Goor were previously executive producers of NBC’s hit show, Parks and Recreation. Meanwhile, Samberg gained huge popularity from appearing on the station’s Saturday Night Live.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine debuted in 2013 and has since won three Golden Globes and two Emmy nominations.