Matthew McConaughey recently said he's discussing the possibility of returning
HBO’s president of programming, Casey Bloys, has renewed hopes that there could be a third season of True Detective.
Bloys confirmed at a US TV industry event earlier today (July 30) that neither the network nor its creator, Nic Pizzolatto, have ruled out a follow-up to the poorly-received second season, saying of the show: “It’s not dead.”
“I’ve talked to Nic about it. I think both Nic and HBO are open to a third season,” Bloys is quoted by IGN as saying.
However Bloys also said that Pizzolatto currently “doesn’t have a take” on the story that a third season might tell, adding: “We’re open to someone else writing it and Nic supervising it. We’re open to other permutations.”
Bloys’ reasonably encouraging comments were echoed earlier this week by season one’s star Matthew McConaughey, who said he has been discussing the possibility of returning with Nic Pizzolatto.
HBO also admitted recently that the show’s second season was “rushed” and that Pizzolatto was under pressure to write it faster than he wished.