The grime MC confirmed that a new season of the Channel 4 TV show is in the making
Skepta has revealed that a new season of Top Boy is in the works and that both himself and Drake are involved.
The Channel 4 crime drama, which followed the lives of characters living in a fictional Hackney housing estate, originally aired in 2011. It ended after two seasons in 2013.
The Boy Better Know MC confirmed that a much-rumoured third season is in the making during an interview with Beats 1’s Zane Lowe yesterday.
According to Skepta, Drake and the series’ star, Ashley Walters, are collaborating on the revived show.
“Even with the Top Boy series, with Ashley Walters… Them two [Drake and Walters] have been working closely, and I’ve been making sure of the creative direction wave with Drake about the series. Making greatness with it, man,” he told Lowe.
Skepta went on to praise the show for its realistic depiction of his hometown, saying: “The whole style of what’s going on in London, the sound, everything about it is real. It’s an actual thing that actually happens, so it deserves to be on the telly.”
Drake has previously professed his love for the UK television series. In February, he hinted that he might be involved in the series comeback, writing in an Instagram caption: “Top Boy will rise again.”
A photo posted by champagnepapi (@champagnepapi) on Feb 4, 2016 at 1:31am PST
As Skepta recalled in the interview, the idea for a new season of the show appears to have originated during a conversation between the two artists.
The grime MC said that Drake suggested reviving the show, asking: “What is it Skep? What do you need? Top Boy series? Okay let’s go.”
Skepta is set to release his new album, ‘Konnichiwa’, on May 6, a week after Drake’s long-awaited ‘Views From The 6’ drops.