There’s a #MeToo TV show in the works

'#MeToo, Now What?' will explore the effects of the movement

A TV show about the #MeToo movement is in the works.

The phrase was first used in a sexual harassment campaign in 2006 by Tarana Burke, who started a grassroots movement via MySpace to promote “empowerment through empathy” among women of colour who had been sexually abused.

It became a prominent hashtag last year, Alyssa Milano suggested: “If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote ‘Me too.’ as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.”

PBS are planning a five-part miniseries called #MeToo, Now What? It will be hosted by Zainab Salbi, founder of Women For Women International, which supports women survivors of war.

The programme is said to explore the effect of the #MeToo movement, while exploring the many different sides of sexual harassment. It will also look at the effects of race, class, and gender on the culture of harassment.

#MeToo

Zainab Salbi, who will host ‘#MeToo, Now What?’

Celebrities, journalist, and activists will appear on the show to comment on the different topics presented across the five episodes. #MeToo, Now What? will premiere on PBS on February 2.

Meanwhile, Brigitte Bardot has accused the female stars that have spoken out as part of the #MeToo movement of being “hypocritical”, saying that she used to find “compliments” from men to be “charming”.

Speaking to French magazine Paris Match, Bardot, 83, said: “In the vast majority of cases they are being hypocritical, ridiculous, uninteresting. There are many actresses who flirt with producers in order to get a role.”