January 7, 2010 10:20
UK albums sales down in 2009
BPI figures reveal decline – with singles sales boosted due to downloads
Data from the British Phonographic Industry revealed the fall in total album sales.
Single sales were up by 32.7 per cent due to an increase in download sales, reports Music Week.
16.1 million albums were legally downloaded throughout the year – 12.5 per cent of all albums sold - while 98 per cent of all singles were sold as downloads, with the total clocking in at 149.7 million.
The Top Ten selling UK albums of 2009 were:
1. Susan Boyle – 'I Dreamed A Dream'
2. Lady Gaga – 'The Fame'
3. Michael Buble – 'Crazy Love'
4. Black Eyed Peas – 'The End'
5. Kings Of Leon – 'Only By The Night'
6. JLS – 'JLS'
7. Beyonce – 'I Am Sasha Fierce'
8. Paolo Nutini – 'Sunny Side Up'
9. Lily Allen – 'It's Not Me, It's You'
10. Robbie Williams – 'Reality Killed The Video Star'
The Top Ten selling singles of 2009 were:
1. Lady Gaga – 'Poker Face'
2. Black Eyed Peas – 'I Gotta Feeling'
3. Lady Gaga – 'Just Dance'
4. Cheryl Cole – 'Fight For This Love'
5. Joe McElderry – 'The Climb'
6. La Roux – 'In For The Kill'
7. Black Eyed Peas – 'Boom Boom Pow'
8. Rage Against The Machine – 'Killing In The Name'
9. Alexandra Burke Ft Flo Rida – 'Bad Boys'
10. Black Eyed Peas – 'Meet Me Halfway'
Meanwhile in the US Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson and Susan Boyle dominated album sales.
- Previous: Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga Top SoundScan's Year-End Charts
- Next: 'Nowhere Boy' John Lennon star and Sam Taylor-Wood to have child - Daily Gossip