August 3, 2012 21:16
Bloc Festival site London Pleasure Gardens goes into administration
The company behind Bloc also went into administration after the event was shut down by police
London Pleasure Gardens has gone into voluntary administration after poor revenues and ticket sales.
The site of London's chaotic Bloc Festival, which was shut down by police after organisers declared London Pleasure Gardens unsafe for public use, opened earlier this summer on Pontoon Dock.
Newham Council have now released a statement – via Music Week - which says: "The decision by London Pleasure Gardens Limited to enter into voluntary administration is regrettable but understandable. It is disappointing that the anticipated visitor numbers and revenue from recent planned events have not materialised."
It continues: "London Pleasure Gardens won the right to operate the site for two years from the London Development Agency and Newham Council as the winner of a Meanwhile London Competition. We will now work with the administrators to help secure our investment and to discuss the future scope and nature of our involvement."
Earlier this week, London Pleasure Gardens' co-director Deborah Armstrong pulled out of the project, saying: "It's important to share the journey though as it's a far more complex and ambitious and big hearted project than a lot of people understand. I don't feel now like it's following the vision that we set out to do but it's important to maintain that - it's the whole point. Hopefully the road will swing toward it again at some point."
Following the collapse of Bloc Festival, Baselogic Productions – the company behind Bloc - also went into administration. The Metropolitan Police said that the bad weather led to the site's safety being compromised, despite reports from attendees that the event was over-capacity and poorly organised.
- Previous: Grimes, Public Enemy, Fatboy Slim to play Bristol In:Motion
- Next: Swedish House Mafia explain reason for their split