October 5, 2012 22:17
Half of this year's X Factor finalists 'scouted' by researchers
Contestants with professional music careers have been allowed to take part in the ITV talent show
Speaking to BBC Newsbeat, a spokesperson for the ITV reality talent show admitted that half of the 12 acts who had made it through to the finals had been asked to take part in the show.
However, they insisted that the judges did not know which acts had been scouted when they were auditioning contestants.
Of these new rules – which also allow contestants with management deals to take part in the show - judge and former Pussycat Doll, Nicole Scherzinger said: "I think it's great that they've done that. It opens up the pool for wider talent."
Finalists Jahmene Douglas and Charlie of MK1 revealed to Newsbeat that they had been scouted for the show and were told about the auditions by their record companies, while Kye Sones, Melanie Masson and Lucy Spraggan, all had professional music careers before taking part in the contest.
- Previous: Grizzly Bear's Chris Taylor writing cookbook
- Next: Beach Boys' Mike Love: 'I did not fire Brian Wilson'