NME.COM

Summer Sundae festival dropped in 2013

Promoters and venue managers blame falling audience numbers

Summer Sundea, august 2007. Pic: Tom Oxley
There will be no Summer Sundae festival in 2013, reports BBC Leicester.

Speaking to the local BBC radio station, Anthony Flint, general manager at Leicester's De Montfort Hall, confirmed that the event would be taking a "sabbatical" in 2013. Next year marks the centenary of the council-run venue and a range of arts events will be taking place in Summer Sundae's place.

Flint attributed the decision to a fall in audience numbers. Asked if he felt that that recent line-ups were too varied and lacked current big hitters on the bill, Flint said, "I think this is true of a lot of festivals".
Rob Challice, director at Summer Sundae promoters Concert Clinic, told From Dusk To Dawn, "There’s no denying that last year was a difficult year for independent festivals. This wasn't an easy decision for us but we think it’s the right time to take a year off. We need the time to look at different models and fresh ideas to bring Summer Sundae back for 2014 and beyond."

Summer Sundae has been staged annually since 2001, when it began as a one-day event. In 2012, Summer Sundae was headlined by [a[Katy B[/a], Ocean Colour Scene and Public Image Ltd, with Lianne La Havas, Django Django, Willy Mason and Jake Bugg joining the line-up across four music stages. The festival ran for three days from August 17 to 19.

The news has led to some disappointed reactions on Twitter. Ruth Davies writes: "Sad but not surprised. It's struggled financially and with crowds for a while. Reckon the 'break' will be permanent". Bethan James writes: "Gutted about Summer Sundae – such a shame!"

Share This

Tickets
Connect With Us
This Week's Magazine