January 23, 2013 18:16
Troubled Bloc Weekend could return in 2013
The electronic music festival went into administration last year
Failed London festival Bloc Weekend could be returning in a smaller form in 2013, reports FACT.
The electronic music festival was launched in 2006, seeing sets from the likes of Ms Dynamite and Jamie xx, but on July 11, 2012 organisers Baselogic Productions entered voluntarily administration.
The collapse of the festival was the result of serious safely issues which emerged after the festival moved from its usual home at Butlin's Holiday Resort in Minehead to the London Pleasure Gardens.
The 2012 Bloc festival, which Snoop Dogg was set to headline, was forced to shut down in the early hours of the morning of July 7 over fears for crowd safety.
NME's Louis Pattison, who was at the festival that night, said: "There were plainly too many people and not enough security." The festival couldn't reopen that year forcing the organisers into administration and leaving disgruntled ticket holders demanding refunds.
Despite this, it appears that Bloc Weekend is set to return in some form or another this year as their Facebook page posted an image of a new website – Bloclondon.com – yesterday (January 22).
The website is currently empty but the festival's administrator, Jamie Playford of Parker Andrews, told Stool Pigeon that "there is no legal problem with Bloc using their name to potentially stage a new event".
No further details have been released.
- Previous: Rough Trade boss: 'It would be fantastic to have a store in Manchester'
- Next: Wire to release new album 'Change Becomes Us'