Hop Farm organisers keen to bring festival back in the future
Vince Power says he hopes to restructure and have the event return
It was confirmed earlier this month that Hop Farm would no longer take place in July as planned. My Bloody Valentine, Rodriguez, The Cribs and The Horrors were among the artists due to play across the weekend.
Speaking to NME about his decision to pull the plug on this year's festival, Power said: "It became a matter of damage limitation. I had to do it sooner rather than later." He went on to state that he is hopeful the festival will return in the future, however. "When something like this happens even though I've been around 30 years, you do lose a bit of credibility," he said. "So I intend to spend the next months restructuring my company and bringing more investment in. I definitely want to bring Hop Farm back."
With a number of big name festivals folding in recent years, including Sonisphere and The Big Chill, Power was keen to clairfy that his other "major festival", Benicassim, will go ahead as planned and is as successful as ever.
He said: "Benicássim is still secure. We've sold a lot of tickets and it's doing well. What happened last year was that I floated a company called Music Festivals PLC, and within that company was Hop Farm, Feis festival and Benicássim. The company went into administration due to a lack of investment, and our share price crashed. This meant that Maraworld, the trading company for Benicassim, also suffered. But the festival itself actually did well last year. It was the other festivals, which put it under pressure."
Hop Farm Festival was due to take place in Wood Paddock, Kent between July 5-6.