Faulty electrics blamed for fire at Bath Moles venue
Fire broke out at long-running Somerset club on Saturday morning (March 8)
The alarm was raised at 8.50 on Saturday morning (March 8) when a neighbour reported hearing the alarm and seeing smoke billowing from the windows. George Street, in Bath city centre, was closed for a number of hours while firefighters tackled the blaze. Moles co-owner Phil Andrews was called to the scene at around 9am. The fire was contained to the ground floor and was quickly under control, reports Bath Chronicle.
Moles incorporates a recording a studio, and it was initially feared that there may have been musicians in the building during the blaze. Avon Fire and Rescue Group Manager Russ Bennett said it had received "initial reports of members of a band sleeping in an upper floor", but the building was confirmed as being unoccupied following a search by 14 firefighters, reports ITV.
The venue is currently closed for repairs but a tweet from the Moles account promises that the club will be "back open asap".
A frequent nominee in NME's annual search for Britain's Best Small Venues, Bath Moles has been host to gigs from acts including Oasis, Radiohead and Manic Street Preachers in its 35 year history. King Crimson recorded the album 'Live At Moles Club, Bath' at the venue in 1981.
As most of you all know we sadly suffered a fire this morning. We'll sadly be closed until we have had time to clean and fix the place up.— MolesBath (@MolesBath) March 8, 2014
We will be BACK OPEN asap bringing Bath the very best in Live Music & Dj's like we have done for over 35 yrs #aintgoingoutlikethat— MolesBath (@MolesBath) March 8, 2014