They’ve all got the looks, the moves and the vocal chops to cut it in the music world, but it takes that extra special pizzazz to be one of the best pop acts. You voted, and now we can reveal the final top 20 of our Greatest Pop Acts Of All Time poll. Just slotting in at Number 20 is Blondie, which featured the vocals of punk rock icon Debbie Harry.
No Doubt/Gwen Stefani.
18. No Doubt/Gwen Stefani. No Doubt ruled the 90s with hits like ‘Don’t Speak’ , ‘Just a Girl’ and ‘Spiderwebs’. And amidst a rock steady solo career , the band returned in 2008 with a comeback tour. On top of all that, Gwen’s started a fashion line named L.A.M.B. and has taken up acting, appearing in Martin Scorsese’s 2004 film ‘The Aviator’.
17. Christina Aguilera. She might not know the lyrics to her own national anthem, but the x-rated howler has her own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, four Grammy Awards and a Latin Grammy Award. On top of all that, she’s vocally supported PETA, the LBGT community and the fight against AIDS.
11. Kylie Minogue. Her very first single (‘Locomotion’) spent seven weeks at the top of the Australian Singles Chart, becoming the highest-selling single of the decade. To date, she’s sold more than 68 million records worldwide, and she’s won several awards, including the Order of the British Empire “for services to music”.
10. Jessie J. She can do it like a dude, and she does it well. The openly bisexual singer is a role model to all. Jessie wrote the Miley Cyrus hit ‘Party in the U.S.A.’, she won BBC’s Sound of 2011 and her debut album charted at Number Two on the UK Albums Chart – and she’s only 23 years old.
8. Britney Spears. All jokes aside, she made the schoolgirl look hot again, she dated a boy band hottie, she was a member of the Mickey Mouse Club and she danced with massive python on stage (a feat most pop stars would never dream of tackling). A few children and a whole lot of scandal later, and she’s still going.
5. Cyndi Lauper. With the release of her 1983 album ‘She’s So Unusual’, she became the first female singer to have four top-five singles released from one album. Lauper’s released 11 albums and over 40 singles, but she’s also proven to be quite the businesswoman, coming in sixth place on ‘The Celebrity Apprentice’. We’d rather watch her on stage than Vincent Disneur.
3. Michael Jackson. From afro-haired cute one in The Jackson Five to Jarvis-bothering quasi-messiah via countless other guises, Jacko entertained the world for myriad different reasons. When all the lawsuits and accusations are filed away, he’s still the guy that wrote ‘Billie Jean’.