The music in the latest instalment in the Rocky-universe is a knockout
Music has always been a huge part of the ‘Rocky’ films. Just try and think of the first movie’s iconic training montage without humming the legendary theme ‘Gonna Fly Now’, or imagine ‘Rocky III’ without ‘Eye of the Tiger’. And the latest instalment in the series is no different, as the soundtrack to ‘Creed II’ packs an almighty punch. Boasting a star-studded line-up and curated by production extraordinaire Mike Will Made-It, it’s a totally knockout.
Don’t believe us? Here’s why you should give it a listen:
1. Mike Will Made-It is at the top of his game. The superstar producer and rapper is the brains behind the soundtrack, producing the entire blistering 15-song album. Boasting his trademark slick beats and some volcanic bars, it’s a masterclass from the legend.
2. It features the biggest names in music. Kendrick? Check. Pharrell? Yep. Nicki Minaj? She drops by for a feature. That’s not to mention the stellar appearances from Schoolboy Q, Quavo, Vince Staples and more. It’s a who’s who of huge talent, and they all absolutely smash it.
3. But alongside the roll call of huge artists, the soundtrack also allows some of the hottest new talent to get into the ring. The brilliant Ella Mai dazzles on sultry ‘Love Me Like That’, North Londoner Ama Lou soars on the lilting ‘Bless Me’ and Ari Lennox’s team up with old pal J. Cole proves she’s absolutely one to watch.
4. Bon Iver drops by too. Nestled in amongst the blistering rap verses and slinky R&B jams is the gorgeous ‘Do You Need Power?’. The two minutes of Justin Vernon’s trademark chamber pop are stuffed full of crunchy electronics and woozy instrumentals, and it’s totally beautiful.
5. ‘Runnin’ absolutely bangs. Formed around orchestral strings created by film’s composer Ludwig Göransson, A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg and Nicki Minaj each take turns to spit sweltering bars. With the earworm hook and the fearless delivery from three rappers at the top of their game, ‘Runnin’ is a total smash.
‘Creed II’ is in cinemas now