The 2020 Oscars awards ceremony will be held without a traditional host for the second year running.
ABC entertainment president Karey Burke confirmed the news after weeks of speculation, which was heightened by the fact that an announcement had not yet been made with less than a month to go.
Read more: Do the Oscars really need fixing?
It follows the Academy Awards’ decision to present last year’s ceremony without a host after Kevin Hart pulled out over the resurfacing of homophobic Tweets.
“We expect that we’re going to have a very commercial set of nominations and a lot of incredible elements have come together that make us think we are going to have a very entertaining show again,” Burke said during Television Critics Association’s winter press tour.
Burke also teased that this year’s telecast, aired on February 9, would boast “huge entertainment values, big musical numbers, comedy and star power”.
Last year’s ceremony instead depended on a revolving bill of guest presenters.
The Guardian reports that ABC’s ratings for the awards were up more than 11 per cent year on year, with nearly 30 million viewers tuning in.
At the time Burke said she was “extremely happy” with how the telecast turned out. In May 2019 she suggested the network would not be “messing with that format”.
The full list of nominations for the Academy Awards will be announced on January 13.