Hockey Dad on abrupt mid-show cancellation: “We did everything by the book”

The band's concert at Brisbane's Fortitude Music Hall over the weekend was stopped halfway through due to COVID restrictions

Hockey Dad have released official statements following the abrupt cancellation of a Brisbane concert over the weekend, due to new stay-at-home orders put in place in response to the New South Wales lockdown.

As Music Feeds first reported, the band’s concert on Saturday night (June 26) at Fortitude Music Hall was abruptly brought to a close just as they expected to return to the stage for an encore. Additionally, the band’s two other Brisbane shows have been postponed.

Now, in statements shared in a press release, both Hockey Dad members – Zach Stephenson and Billy Fleming – have revealed they are still processing the shock of the event, while noting the “ever changing goal posts” put in place for the live music industry.


“The hardest part for me was just being on such a high from the show and dropping to such a low in an instant,” Fleming said.

“We felt amazing as we walked off stage. We really felt like we had pulled off something special. Despite all odds we were finally playing these shows after over a year’s worth of postponement. As the crowd started yelling for us to jump back on for an encore, we got the tap on the shoulder and were escorted away from the stage to receive the bad news.”

“Everything was going so well up until that point,” Fleming continued. “We did everything by the book. And it all just fell apart so quickly.”

Stephenson echoed the sentiments made by Fleming, saying “The past week leading up to these shows has been probably the most stressful time in my touring history playing in this band.

“Ever changing goal posts continually keep pressure on artists/venues/crew/promoters/punters to make sure they are doing everything correctly in accordance to state and federal guidelines.”

Stephenson went on to shout out fellow artists and members of the community who reached out to support the Windang duo following the cancellation.


“The messages we have received already from our peers offering to help out in any way they can has been overwhelming and gives me great hope for the music industry in AUS.”

These new statements follow the brief joint post the band made directly after the show’s cancellation.

“Fuck. This is the heaviest thing we’ve ever experienced. We had just finished our set and were about to walk back on stage for an encore. We were then told we had to leave the venue immediately and isolate,” the band said on Instagram after the concert.

“We are absolutely gutted and are lost for words. Our team are working on a solution to fix all of this. Will be back with more updates as they come.”

According to new guidelines from Queensland Health, anyone who has been in the Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas since June 21 is required to isolate wherever they are for two weeks.

The band’s isolation period is expected to end before they kick off their regional Australian tour, commencing in Mackay on August 12.