Las Vegas rock band Palaye Royale have sacked their bassist Daniel Curcio following allegations of inappropriate conduct towards underage fans.
Although Curcio contributed to the band’s recent studio album ‘The Bastards’, released last month, and was described as an “official member” in a 2019 interview, Palaye Royale say they considered him “one of our touring musicians.”
Please note; Daniel Curcio no longer works for Palaye Royale. https://t.co/lZ8pxowOnM
— Palaye Royale (@PalayeRoyale) June 11, 2020
“Palaye Royale have always been three members,” said the band’s Remington Leith, Sebastian Danzig and Emerson Barrett in a statement on Twitter. “We are extremely disappointed in the actions of one of our touring musicians.
“His decisions are not in a way a reflection on us, we have worked our whole lives to achieve where we are today. Under no circumstances will we allow misconduct to anyone especially our fans; safety is our number one priority.”
Following criticism that this did not constitute sufficient action against Curcio, the band later followed up that statement, saying: “Please note; Daniel Curcio no longer works for Palaye Royale.”
Curcio’s firing comes following a number of allegations of inappropriate conduct towards underage fans, particularly concerning online interactions.
Responding to allegations, Curcio said:
“As many of you know, a number of serious allegations have been made against me on social media. The allegations have continued to be made and, therefore, I want to make it clear that I have never had an inappropriate conversation or relationship with anybody under the age of consent. I have also never knowingly invited anyone to a party or to my house who was under age. One of the allegations being made against me is that, in 2017, I intentionally invited somebody who was under 18 over to my place. This is not true. I had posted a general party invitation to my story and the individual – who did not identify themselves or their age – sent a message to me from a private account. We had a brief exchange and the individual did not come to the party. We have had no contact since.
“2 years ago, I had a brief exchange on Instagram with an individual in Canada who was not below the age of consent, but who was a number of years younger than me. And for that, I regret the exchange. We never met and we had no further contact.
“I have never treated my fans badly and have always tried to behave properly and responsibly. I teach bass guitar and have asked fans their ages before I’ve taught them in person or in FaceTime lessons to make sure that they are old enough to take lessons. This has also been misrepresented on social media as being improper, which is not the case.
“In a number of recently posted screenshots, it shows me reacting in very emotional terms to these serious allegations for which I am sorry. I behaved in this way because it was important to me that you all understand that the allegations are untrue, but I accept that I went about this the wrong way. If I have ever in my career offended or upset anyone I am truly sorry, we are all human and sometimes we make mistakes.
“Lastly, do not believe everything you read and see on the internet.”