The CEO of Disney, Bob Iger, has said that the company are going to slow down making unnecessary ‘Star Wars’ movies.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, Iger said he thinks he made a “mistake” in trying to release “too much, too fast.” He added that there will be a “slowdown” of Star Wars movies in the future.
He said: “I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made – I take the blame – was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn’t mean we’re not going to make films.”
He added: “J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX…we are just at the point where we’re going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.’s. But I think we’re going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.”
His comments come after the release of Star Wars spin-off Solo earlier this year, which flopped at the Box Office.
The Han Solo origin story missed its projected North American opening targets by almost $30million; shortly after it’s opening weekend, the film pulled in $29.3 million which – a 65% drop from its opening weekend.
Buzzfeed’s Adam B. Vary posted a comprehensive breakdown of ‘Solo’s numbers relative to the last three Star Wars movies. He wrote: “Internationally, the film has made only $115.3M to date. With a reported budget of over $250M, it is officially the first Star Wars movie to flop.”
Many reasons were attributed to the flop, including viewer fatigue from the series, production issues and timing, as Solo was released shortly after Avengers: Infinity War. Executives at Disney later admitted this was a mistake.
“There’s a question of frequency, and how many times people will go to the movies. Is this too much and too soon for a third time in a five-week period?” Disney chief Dave Hollis told Hollywood Reporter.
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) July 5, 2018
Star Wars 9 will be released on December 20, 2019 after the original date was pushed back due to production issues.