Alan Rickman’s death undid plans for Galaxy Quest sequel

Sam Rockwell says that plans for Galaxy Quest 2 were in the works

Sam Rockwell has claimed that Alan Rickman‘s death stopped plans for a Galaxy Quest sequel.

Rockwell starred in the original Galaxy Quest movie with Rickman and claims the cast were close to signing onto a sequel before the actor’s death earlier this year.

Speaking to the Nerdist podcast, the actor said: “They were going to do a sequel on Amazon. We were ready to sign up, and [then] Alan Rickman passed away and Tim Allen wasn’t available – he has a show – and everybody’s schedule was all weird.

NMEGetty
Advertisement

“It was going to shoot, like, right now. And how do you fill that void of Alan Rickman? That’s a hard void to fill.” Alan Rickman died on January 14 this year, aged 69.

A family statement said: “The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at the age of 69. He was surrounded by family and friends.”

Rickman is best known for his roles as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films and villain Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

Over the course of his 30-plus year career, Rickman had won a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, an Emmy Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.

Advertisement
Advertisement