Veteran director revived the franchise brilliantly with last year's 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
Director George Miller has seemingly ruled himself out of making another Mad Max movie.
Last year’s Mad Max: Fury Road – a reboot starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron – opened to rave reviews and has now grossed more than $375 million (£260 million) at cinemas worldwide, but its lengthy shoot was notoriously gruelling and plagued by delays.
“I won’t make more Mad Max movies,” Miller told Page Six at the Golden Globe Awards in Los Angeles on Sunday night (January 10). “Fury Road… was forever getting completed. If you finish one in a year, it’s considered a leap of faith. Start, stop, start again.”
“I’ve shot in Australia in a field of wild flowers and flat red earth when it rained heavily forever,” the veteran director continued. “We had to wait 18 months and every return to the US was 27 hours. Those Mad Maxes take forever. I won’t do those anymore.”
In an interview with NME in October, Miller spoke about the treacherous nature of making the Mad Max movies. “They’re very tough movies to make, mainly because of the stunts,” he explained. “If you’re doing stunts for 138 days, there’s always that dread in the pit of your stomach that you could really hurt someone badly. We had a fantastic crew and incredible stunt riggers and there was a big, big emphasis on safety.
“But even so, fatigue sets in and you’re in a remote location with all the heat and the dust, so there’s always a risk. I’ve got to whip myself up to do that again, I’ve got to psych myself up,” he said at the time.