"There's nothing concrete yet" says director
Tim Burton has given an update on the long-rumoured Beetlejuice sequel, stating that while he is interested in making a follow up to the 1988 original “there’s nothing concrete yet.”
It was reported earlier this year that the original cast of Beetlejuice had signed on for the sequel, with both Winona Ryder and Michael Keaton returning alongside Burton as director. This was subsequently denied by a rep for the director.
Speaking to Collider this week (May 10), Burton explained what the latest is with his involvement in the film.
“It’s something that I really would like to do in the right circumstances, but it’s one of those films where it has to be right,” the director said. “It’s not a kind of a movie that cries out [for a sequel], it’s not the Beetlejuice trilogy. So it’s something that if the elements are right — because I do love the character and Michael’s amazing as that character, so we’ll see. But there’s nothing concrete yet.”
Burton is in talks with the cast though, “The fact of it is I have talked to Michael [Keaton] and I have talked to Winona [Ryder]. I’ve talked to a few people.”
Beetlejuice 2 has been rumoured since 2011 when executives were reported s being unsure whether Keaton would reprise his role of the beloved spirit.
Burton directed the 1988 original, which starred Keaton as a so-called “bio-exorcist” trying to scare away the new human inhabitants of a haunted house so that a ghost couple, played by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis, can continue living there. Catherine O’Hara, Jeffrey Jones and a 17-year-old Winona Ryder co-starred as the human family members.
Burton’s Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is due out on September 30.