Disney confirm a fifth Indiana Jones with Spielberg to direct

We'll be waiting until 2019 for the return of Harrison Ford's adventures, though

Disney have confirmed the rumoured return of Indiana Jones for a fifth outing, with Steven Spielberg to direct and Harrison Ford to star once again.

The return of the franchise was announced earlier today (March 15), but won’t hit cinemas for some time, with a planned release date of July 19, 2019.

“Indiana Jones is one of the greatest heroes in cinematic history, and we can’t wait to bring him back to the screen in 2019,” Disney chairman Alan Horn told Hollywood Reporter. “It’s rare to have such a perfect combination of director, producers, actor and role, and we couldn’t be more excited to embark on this adventure with Harrison and Steven.”

Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will also return on production duties, with both veterans of the LucasFilm franchise. Kennedy has become president of LucasFilms since her role in the previous movies. The new installment is also expected to include some young stars alongside Ford, with Kennedy having previously hinted heavily at a return once the latest edition of Star Wars had been launched.

NMEPress

Disney CEO Bob Iger had confirmed that the company were looking at reviving the series – and in the planning stages – around New Year.

“With George Lucas’s Star Wars – and Indiana Jones, by the way, which will be coming, we have more great stories,” Iger said.

Disney bought Lucasfilm in a $4bn deal in 2012, acquiring the rights to Star Wars and Indiana Jones in the process.

Indy’s last outing was 2008’s Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, released almost two decades on from previous instalment Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.