'Lord Of The Rings' actor says he has no first-hand knowledge of Hollywood abuse
Elijah Wood has clarified comments he made about an alleged child abuse ring in Hollywood, which he compared to the Jimmy Savile scandal.
The Lord Of The Rings actor, who began acting in Hollywood aged eight, said in a Sunday Times interview that he had been protected from abuse thanks to his mother, but that many fellow child stars were “preyed upon”.
Wood told the newspaper: “You all grew up with Jimmy Savile. Jesus, that must have been devastating. Clearly, something major was going on in Hollywood. It was all organised.”
In a series of tweets, Wood said he had “learned his lesson” from the interview and that he only knew about abuse in Hollywood from reading articles about it and watching a documentary on the subject, An Open Secret, directed by Amy Berg in 2015.
Wood wrote: “The Sunday Times interviewed me about my latest film, but the story became about something else entirely. It prompted a number of false and misleading headlines.
“I had just seen a powerful documentary and I briefly spoke with the reporter about the subject, which had consequences I did not intend or expect. Lesson learned.”
“Let me be clear: This subject of child abuse is an important one that should be discussed and properly investigated. But as I made absolutely clear to the writer, I have no first hand experience or observation of the topic, so I cannot speak with any authority beyond articles I have read and films I have seen.”
Former The Goonies child actor Corey Feldman was also quoted in The Sunday Times story as saying he was “surrounded by molesters” when he was 14.