Ewan McGregor has explained how both he and Alec Guiness came to lend their voices to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
It was already known that McGregor’s voice appears in the film in a scene in which the character of Rey (Daisy Ridley) receives a message from Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, in a new interview with Jimmy Kimmel, McGregor revealed the technique director JJ Abrams used to add another layer of Star Wars history to the film.
Speaking to Kimmel, McGregor said he was initially worried that he would not be in the film at all.
“I’d been waiting for the call to come for two years. I thought maybe they’ve lost my agent’s phone number,” he said. “Then I got a call from JJ just shortly before the film was released. He asked me to come in and said, ‘I’d love you to be a part of it’.”
However, once the call came in he learned of the team’s plans: ”The line is, ‘Rey, these are your first steps’. But they got Alec Guinness to do ‘Rey’, which is extraordinary because he’s not alive anymore.
“They got a line of him as Obi-Wan Kenobi saying ‘afraid,’ and cut the ‘A’ and the ‘D’ off. So Alec Guinness is saying, ‘Rey’, and I’m saying, ‘These are your first steps’.”
Meanwhile, Disney recently announced plans to delay the release of the next Star Wars movie by around seven months.
The Rian Johnson directed Star Wars: Episode VIII had been due to open on May 26, 2017 but will now arrive in cinemas on December 15, 2017.
While this obviously gives director Rian Johnson longer to work on the film, it is likely that Disney decided to push back Episode VIII to December so it can mimic the successful pre-Christmas release strategy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Since its release in mid-December, J.J. Abrams’ film has raked in $1.872 billion (£1.32 billion) at the global box office, making it the third highest-grossing film of all time behind James Cameron’s Avatar and Titanic.
The Force Awakens‘ new characters played by Daisy Ridley (Rey), John Boyega (Finn) and Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron) are all returning for Episode VIII.