Geoffrey Rush sues Australian newspaper over “inappropriate behaviour” claims

'Pirates of the Caribbean' actor describes claims as "spurious"

Actor Geoffrey Rush has filed a defamation lawsuit against an Australian newspaper after it published accusations of “inappropriate behaviour” levelled at the star, allegations that he labels as false and “spurious”.

Last month, the Pirates of the Caribbean star was accused of misconduct by a former colleague from the Sydney Theatre Company, with the theatre group releasing a statement to Sydney’s Daily Telegraph. The allegations related to an incident alleged to have taken place during the company’s adaptation of King Lear in 2015.

Rush denied the accusation at the time, describing his conduct as always having been “impeccable beyond reproach”.

It has now been reported that the star filed a lawsuit at the Federal Court of Australia on Friday (December 8). Rush said that the News Corp Australia newspaper had caused irreparable damage to his reputation after it “splashed spurious claims with bombastic titles on their front page”.

“It is an action I am taking in order to redress the slurs, innuendo and hyperbole they have created around my standing in the entertainment industry and greater community,” Rush said at a press conference.

Geoffrey Rush

Geoffrey Rush

In response, the newspaper’s editor Chris Dore says: “The Daily Telegraph accurately reported the Sydney Theatre Company received a complaint alleging that Mr Geoffrey Rush had engaged in inappropriate behaviour.”

Rush is best known for playing Captain Barbossa in the Pirates of the Caribbean films. He is also amongst the few people to have won the “Triple Crown of Acting”, picking up an Academy Award, Emmy Award and Tony Award over the course of his career.