Franchise creator compares JJ Abrams-helmed project to a divorce
Star Wars creator George Lucas has revealed that he hasn’t seen the latest instalment of the movie franchise, comparing his lack of involvement in the project to a “divorce”.
Lucas recently discussed his decision to move on from Star Wars, blaming the fact that “all you do is get criticised”.
Having previously revealed that he had not watched the trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Washington Post has now confirmed that he has not seen a “single frame” of the movie either.
“I call it like a divorce,” Lucas said. “There is no such thing as working over someone’s shoulder. You’re either the dictator or you’re not. And to do that would never work, so I said ‘I’m going to get divorced’… I knew that I couldn’t be involved. All I’d do is make them miserable. I’d make myself miserable. It would probably ruin a vision — [director JJ Abrams] has a vision, and it’s his vision.”
Despite having not watched the film yet, Lucas confirmed that he soon will at his home cinema: “I’ve got the best theatre in the world”.
He continued: “Now I’m faced with this awkward reality, which is fine. I gotta go to the wedding. My ex will be there, my new wife will be there, but I’m going to have to take a very deep breath and be a good person and sit through it and just enjoy the moment, because it is what it is and it’s a conscious decision that I made.”
Meanwhile, Lucas recently said that his continued involvement in the Star Wars franchise would have led him to “muck everything up”.
The franchise’s creator wrote story treatments for a new trilogy of Star Wars films before he sold Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, but the Mouse House ultimately decided to take the franchise in a different direction, and Lucas stepped away.
“They decided they didn’t want to use those stories, they decided they were gonna go do their own thing,” Lucas explained during an appearance on CBS News.
“They weren’t that keen to have me involved anyway,” he continued. “But at the same time, I said, ‘If I get in there, I’m just going to cause trouble.’ Because they’re not going to do what I want them to do. And I don’t have the control to do that any more. All I would do is muck everything up. So I said, ‘Okay, I will go my way, and I’ll let them go their way.'”
Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in the UK on Thursday December 17, a day earlier than in the US.
The story takes place 30 years after the events of Return Of The Jedi but specific plot details are being kept tightly under wraps.