Director clarifies comments he made on the red carpet recently
Director George Miller has reassured fans that he intends to make more Mad Maxs movies.
Last year’s Mad Max: Fury Road – a reboot starring Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron – opened to rave reviews and has now grossed more than $375 million (£260 million) at cinemas worldwide. Yesterday (January 14) it was nominated for Best Picture at the 88th Academy Awards, with Miller shortlisted for Best Director.
Earlier this week it was reported that Miller had said, “I won’t make more Mad Max movies,” but the director has now insisted he was misquoted.
“That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review,” he told The Wrap. “She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another Mad Max movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make anotherMad Max. It won’t necessarily be next, but I have two more stories.”
In an interview with NME in October, Miller spoke about the treacherous nature of making the Mad Max movies. “They’re very tough movies to make, mainly because of the stunts,” he explained. “If you’re doing stunts for 138 days, there’s always that dread in the pit of your stomach that you could really hurt someone badly. We had a fantastic crew and incredible stunt riggers and there was a big, big emphasis on safety.
“But even so, fatigue sets in and you’re in a remote location with all the heat and the dust, so there’s always a risk. I’ve got to whip myself up to do that again, I’ve got to psych myself up,” he said at the time.