Author says that big-screen epic may happen in the future
Author George RR Martin has revealed that there have been preliminary talks about a Game Of Thrones spin-off film.
As Collider reports, A Song Of Ice And Fire writer Martin has hinted that, in addition to the HBO TV series, an epic big-screen adventure may be required to bring his saga to a close.
“It all depends on how long the main series runs,” he said. “Do we run for seven years? Do we run for eight? Do we run for 10? The books get bigger and bigger. It might need a feature to tie things up, something with a feature budget, like $100 million for two hours. Those dragons get real big.”
He also dismissed fears that the TV show may soon catch up with his series of novels. “I’m hopeful that I cannot let them catch up with me,” he said. “The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons.”
He added: “A Dance With Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm Of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast… and Dance…, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feast… and Dance… take place simultaneously, so you can’t do Feast… and then Dance… the way I did.
“You can combine them and do it chronologically,” he concluded. “And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds Of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream Of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.”
The fourth series of Game Of Thrones will premiere on Sky Atlantic on April 7 at 9pm, and will be broadcast just 24 hours after it is shown in the US on the HBO network. A new trailer for the show was released earlier this week – click below to watch.