Sony’s distribution chief says it will become “an important brand and franchise”
The new Ghostbusters film is already set to get a sequel, according to Sony’s distribution chief Rory Bruer.
The reboot starring Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon made $46million (£34.7m) at US box office in its opening weekend in North America, beaten to the number one spot by The Secret Life Of Pets.
But despite missing out on the top spot, the figure was still enough for Sony to reveal that they plan to make a follow up to the all-female reboot. Speaking to The Wrap, Bruer, president of Worldwide Distribution at Sony, said: “While nothing has been officially announced yet, there’s no doubt in my mind it will happen.
“The Ghostbusters world is alive and well. I expect Ghostbusters to become an important brand and franchise.”
The reboot has hit headlines several time before its release too. Last week (July 14) it was revealed that the Ghostbusters movie has reportedly been denied a release in China, the world’s second biggest film market. Industry insiders see that fact as a major blow for the film, because it needs to perform well overseas to recoup its sizeable production budget.
That was after Ghostbusters director Paul Feig admitted that he can understand the concerns of fans of the original movies. He told Hey U Guys: “I understand there’s so much passion towards these movies and people are rightfully nervous. If I wasn’t doing it, I’d be just as nervous as everyone else. All you can say is, ‘Judge it on its own merits’.”
Last week, original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman also revealed that Bill Murray stopped the original films becoming a trilogy. He told Vulture: “Bill was always the holdout. I think he was just not interested. He loves Ghostbusters, and he appreciated all the good that it did for all of us, but he just wanted to pursue different things as an actor. And at the same time he didn’t want to do anything that would sully the other movies.”