Seth Rogen has apologised after reports emerged a stand-in child actor on his new movie Good Boys had been made up in “blackface.”
The movie, which is currently being shot in Vancouver, Canada, is co-produced by Rogen and his Superbad writing partner Evan Goldberg. Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky are co-directing and co-writing the film, which is expected to be released in 2019.
Photos from the set of Good Boys caused controversy earlier this week (August 2). TMZ obtained the images, which show the stand-in actor for castmember Keith L. Williams seemingly wearing dark make-up on his face. Both of the actors are African-American.
The publication cites sources close to the ongoing production who claim that a complaint was filed to the producers of Good Boys in regards to the choice of make-up. Producers are reportedly aware of the complaint and are said to be looking into the matter.
A source close to the production company, Good Universe, told TMZ that it’s “not uncommon for lighting purposes to match actors’ skin tones,” but they “insist this is not a blackface situation”.
Rogen has since apologised and has issued a statement on the matter. “I should start by saying this shouldn’t have happened, and I’m terribly sorry it did,” it read. “I won’t give excuses for why it happened. I’ll just say that as soon I was made aware of it, I ensured we put an end to it – and I give my word that on any project my team and I are involved in, we will take every precaution to make sure something similar does not take place again.
“I’m engaging in conversations to make sure I find the best way to do that. It’s on me to be proactive. Reacting isn’t enough.”
According to an official synopsis, Good Boys focuses on “a group of young boys on the cusp of becoming teenagers [who] embark on an epic quest in the San Fernando Valley to fix their broken toy before their parents get home.”